Facebook icon Twitter icon YouTube icon

Property taxes are a significant revenue source for the Town of Essex. They cover the cost of the wide variety of services we provide to our residents, including maintenance of roads, recreational facilities and programs, winter control, sidewalk maintenance, fire and police services, just to name a few.

A property tax notice is issued two times per year as follows:

  • Interim Tax Notice with two installments due the last business day of February and April
  • Final Tax Notice issued in late June or early July with two installments due the last business day of July and October

The Town also issues supplementary tax notices throughout the year to capture changes in assessment resulting from property improvements or additions not yet reflected in your current tax bill.

Tax rates are calculated and set annually as part of the annual budget process. Tax rates are established through a by-law passed by Council. The 2019 rates can be found in By-law 1830A.

Pay Your Property Tax Bills Online

Residents can now check their Property Tax account and pay their bills online with the introduction of the new Virtual City Hall system. Register online at www.essex.ca/VCH. To activate your account, you will need your Tax Roll and Account Numbers, both of which are on your tax notice.

How can I pay my taxes?

The Town offers several convenient methods to pay property taxes:

Changes to Credit Card Payments at Town Hall

As of June 30, 2018, Town Hall will no longer accept property tax payments via credit card over the phone. There will also be a $1,000 limit on in-person transactions. For more information please visit this news item.

Go Paperless This Year with E-Billing

View your tax notices faster and help reduce our environmental impact. Taxpayers now have the option to receive their tax notices through e-mail. If you would like to sign up for e-billing, please complete the form below

Tax Registration Process

Bill 68, Modernizing Ontario's Municipal Legislation Act, 2017, has received Royal Assent and amends the Municipal Act, 2001 to allow municipalities to commence tax sale proceedings by registering a tax arrears certificate on title of property that is two or more years in arrears.

Municipal Act, 2001
Registration of tax arrears certificate
373 (1) Where any part of tax arrears is owing with respect to land in a municipality on January 1 in the second year following that in which the real property taxes become owing, the treasurer of the municipality, unless otherwise directed by the municipality, may prepare and register a tax arrears certificate against the title to that land.  2001, c. 25, s. 373 (1); 2017, c. 10, Sched. 1, s. 55 (1).

How do I find out more about my property assessment?

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is responsible for classifying your property and assessing its value.

If you have questions about your 2016 residential property assessment, visit aboutmyproperty.ca or call 1-866-296-MPAC (6722) or 1-877-889-MPAC (6722). You can also write to MPAC at: Municipal Property Assessment Corporation, PO Box 9808, Toronto, Ontario M1S 5T9.

If your residential property assessment went up even though your home flooded, you may wish to attach the following letter to your Request for Reconsideration.

If you feel your assessed value and/or property classification is not correct, MPAC will review it, free of charge. You can do this by filing a Request for Reconsideration on aboutmyproperty.ca. You can also write a letter to MPAC requesting reconsideration. You have 120 days from the issue date on your property assessment notice to file a free Request for Reconsideration. The deadline date for Essex properties is December 6.

Link to aboutmyproperty.ca

How do I request an adjustment of taxes?

To request an adjustment of taxes you will need to complete the following form as provided by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation:

Reasons to file a request for an adjustment of taxes include:

  • Commercial to residential class change
  • Building razed or damaged by fire
  • Demolition of buildings
  • Overcharged or manifest error
  • Property status change to exempt
  • Sickness or poverty