Facebook icon Twitter icon YouTube icon

Property Claims


General Inquiries

Town of Essex
33 Talbot Street South
Essex, Ontario N8M 1A8

Office Hours:
Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Map this location

T. 519-776-7336 ext. 10 or 11
F. 519-776-8811

The information provided on this page is intended as a guide only. It is not a substitute for legal advice. If you have questions of a legal nature, please consult a lawyer. The Town of Essex accepts no liability arising from the information published here.

Reporting damage to your property

In all cases of damage, we recommend that you contact your insurance company or broker in a timely manner. Your insurance company will assess the damages and make arrangements for clean-up and repair of damaged property. Your insurance company will also attempt to recover money from anyone they think may have been responsible for the damages.

Vehicle damage due to pothole

If your vehicle is damaged as a result of driving over a pothole, we recommend that you contact your insurance company. This type of damage is not generally reimbursable. The development of potholes is unpredictable and often follows periods of heavy precipitation, freezing and thawing. The Town of Essex repairs potholes on a regular basis.

To report a pothole, call 519-776-7336 ext. 1100 or 1101.

Livestock claims

The Clerk’s Department handles claims for damages under the Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program.

Through this program, livestock producers may be eligible for compensation from the municipality if their livestock, poultry, bee colonies or beehives are injured, damaged or killed by wildlife. For more information on eligibility, contact OMAFRA.

If livestock has been injured, damaged or killed by a dog, livestock producers may be eligible for compensation from the municipality. Claims for compensation should be directed promptly to the attention of the Clerk.

All claims for compensation are subject to the Livestock Valuer’s inspection and report. Livestock inspections for the Town of Essex are conducted by our Animal Control Officer. Contact them directly at the number to the right.