Facebook icon Twitter icon YouTube icon

Marriage Licences and Certificates

The Town of Essex issues marriage licences and can provide information on obtaining marriage certificates. No residency or citizenship requirements apply.

Obtaining a marriage licence

Marriage licences may only be issued to the bride and/or the groom. Both parties to the marriage must complete and sign a provincial Marriage Licence Application Form.

Contact the Clerk's Office well in advance of the marriage ceremony to book an appointment.

The Marriage Licence Fee is $137.82, as of January 1, 2019.

Marriage licence requirements

Applicants must be at least 18 years old and must provide proof of age. Two pieces of identification, one containing a photo, are required.

If you are 16 or 17 years old, you will require parental consent. Please contact the Clerk's Office for more details.

If a previous marriage was dissolved or annulled in Canada, the applicant must submit the original or court certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce. A divorce judgment is not acceptable. Certified copies may be obtained from the court that granted the divorce. All documents will be returned.

If a divorce was granted outside of Canada, please contact the Clerk's Office for more information.

Marriage ceremonies

Marriage ceremonies are not performed at Town Hall. Under section 228(4) of the Municipal Act, the Clerk can delegate the authority to solemnize civil marriages. Please contact the Clerk's Office for the names and contact information of those authorized to perform civil marriage ceremonies in the Town of Essex.

Obtaining a marriage certificate

After the marriage ceremony, the bride and groom receive a Record of Solemnization of Marriage. This is not a marriage certificate.

The person who solemnizes the marriage forwards documentation to the Office of the Registrar General for registration. Visit the Service Ontario website to apply online for a marriage certificate.