Essex Fun Fest - 2013
It's festival time again! This year's Essex Fun Fest takes place from July 12 to 14 and offers something for everyone.
Vendors and volunteers are needed.
Call 519-776-9299 to find out more!
Essex Fun Fest parade application
The Essex Fun Fest Parade is a judged competition, with awards in both commercial and non-commercial categories. The theme of this annual parade is selected by the Fun Fest Committee several months in advance of the event. This year's theme is Salute to Sports. There is no cost to participate in the parade and all entries are accepted.
Schedule of Events
The following is a preliminary list of scheduled events:
Friday, July 12
- Carter Shows midway opens for the weekend
- Bavarian Gardens - Open at 5 p.m.
- Slow Pitch National Ball Tournament at 5 p.m.
- Official Festival Opening at 8:45 p.m.
- Area 51 entertains at 9 p.m.
Saturday, July 13
- Fun Fest Parade at 11 a.m. - Theme: Salute to Sports
- Essex Cruise Day - Along Fairview Avenue following the parade
- Essex Horticultural Society Show and Bake Sale, Noon to 4 p.m. at Essex United Church
- Essex Youth Centre Running of the Balls at 1 p.m.
- Classic Championship Wrestling at 2 p.m.
- Bigg Wiggle entertains at 9 p.m.
Sunday, July 14
- Interdenominational Church Service, Sadler's Park at 8 a.m.
- Fun Fest Breakfast at Essex United Church, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Pet Show registration at 11 a.m.
- Horseshow Tournament, near Diamond 3 at 11 a.m.
- Rise to Fame Youth Talent Search at 1 p.m.
- Bear Patrol performs at 8 p.m. in the Bavarian Gardens
- Fun Fest Fireworks at 10 p.m.
What does the Festival Committee do?
The Essex Festival Committee is responsible for organizing events as part of the Essex Fun Fest, including the parade, midway, vendor booths, and entertainment. Other responsibilities include advertising, promotion and security.
The Essex Fun Fest takes place on the second full weekend of July and runs from Friday to Sunday.
The Fun Fest does not get municipal funding directly. It is expected to be self-funding through revenues. The Corporate Services Department appoints a staff member to act as Treasurer for the Festival Committee to ensure that expenditures are approved in accordance with the annual budget and the procurement by-law.
One Council member and up to 14 members from the public are appointed to serve on this committee. The use of an Executive Committee structure by the Festival Committee is authorized, provided that minutes are kept of Executive Committee meetings and forwarded to the full committee for approval at the earliest opportunity.
Contact the Essex Festival Committee to find out more about how you can get involved.